Home Remedies For Sweaty Armpits
Having big sweat patches under your arms is embarrassing, and even worse if you have a strong body odor. Here I will give you home remedies that tackle both sweaty armpits and body odor problems.
While sweating is normal, excessive sweating is a condition known as Hyperhydrosis, and it can be caused or triggered by many things, including diabetes, an irregular metabolism, bad digestion and constipation, emotional stress, puberty, menopause and menstruation, and I do recommend that you consult your doctor to see if he or she can identify the underlying cause.
That being said, if you’ve been to your doctor and still need help, there are a number of effective home remedies for sweaty armpits so don’t despair and read on!
Antiperspirant for Sweaty Armpits
Many people use a strong anti-perspirant (rather than deodorant which really only masks the smell). The higher the aluminum chloride (aka alum) content is, the stronger the anti-perspirant. While this is effective for quite a few people, the downside is that sweating helps your body eliminate toxins, and using an antiperspirant is not great for your overall health. Below you can find some natural cures for sweaty armpits.
Home Remedies For Sweaty Armpits – Camphor powder
- Mix two tablespoons of fine camphor powder
With about 150ml of water
- Apply it to your armpits to stop sweating.
- After two weeks you should see an improvement. This works because the concoction has astringent properties which help to tighten your skin’s pores.
Home Cure for Sweaty Armpits – Apple Cider Vinegar & Honey
Apple cider vinegar is wonderful for you, helping your metabolism, and many other things, and lots of people have found that this home treatment reduces excess sweating and also body odor.
- Mix two teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
and two teaspoons of honey, (raw organic honey is ideal – and it must be the thick kind)
- with 8 ounces of water and drink two to three times a day.
- You should notice an improvement within a week.
Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar is very effective and was the favorite of most people I’ve spoken to, but if you don’t get this, try and ensure your ACV it is organic.
Home Remedies for Body Odor – Milk of Magnesia
Whilst this natural remedy may reduce the amount you sweat it is an excellent choice for those who want to prevent body odor, but would rather not use an antiperspirant, and many people I have spoken to have found it more effective.
– Simply rub a generous amount all around your armpits, and make sure to let it dry before putting on your clothes. Then your should be odor free! You can find it in a pharmacy or you can even get it in roll on form here.
Home Remedies for Sweaty Armpits – Baking Powder
Take some baking powder and apply it to your armpits after showering. You can even make a cream with some hand lotion or similar and add a drop or two of essential oil to make it smell great! But do make sure the baking powder is aluminum free! If you want a ready made baking powder deodorant try here.
Note of caution: Some people find this remedy gives them sore armpits, so test it out first!
Home Remedies for Sweaty Armpits – Tips
Before trying my other remedies, you can try these tips to see if they help
- Wear cotton clothes as they help to absorb the sweat and allows your skin to breathe (man made fibers will make sweat and odor much worse)
- Remove underarm hair – hair encourages sweat and makes odor stick to it
- Use an antibacterial soap and shower every day
- Try to avoid eating refined foods, hydrogenated oils and other processed foods – these put more toxins into your body which then need to be sweated out
- Eat healthy foods with lots of fiber such as wheat, whole grains and green leafy vegetables
- Drink plenty of water, (approx eight glasses a day) this will help your body eliminate toxins without smell
- Wash your clothes after every wear – otherwise the sweat stays in the fibers of the clothes and though may smell clean straight out of the wash, will smell when warmed
- If your sweating seems worse when experiencing strong emotions, try practicing meditation, yoga or similar to make you generally calmer.
Another Great Home Remedy for Sweaty Armpits
I hope you’ve found these remedies useful, do experiment if one doesn’t work as everyone is different so different things work for different people.