Most of us know what it’s like to get a big zit just before an important date or event. I was told that this would stop after puberty, but it turns out that adult acne is very common!
But don’t despair, whatever age you are you can get rid of your acne; here are my top six home remedies for zits as well as some natural treatments you can make at home, both to treat pimples and to help with prevention.
…..Top tip for zit free skin – eat peanuts! They provide vitamins
…..that are great for clear skin.
NOTE: These acne home remedies can take a few weeks to work so do persist with them, but you should see improvement within 3-4 days.
On the other hand sometimes people do get worse before getting better, particularly if there are a lot of toxins in your skin, and if this is the case for you, or even if not, you might want to think about a detox.
1. Home Remedies for Zits and acne – Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the most popular and successful natural cures for zits and acne, that I have come across. Even people suffering from severe and cystic acne have found amazing success with these remedies.
It’s important to use organic cider vinegar, and for greatest effect use ACV with ‘the mother’ which means that it is raw and unpasteurized. See the box on the left for Bragg’s ACV which has ‘the mother’.
Apple Cider Vinegar – Remedy 1.
This remedy is very popular and successful for zits and acne!
- Soak a cotton bud and rub around your face.
- Some people leave it on overnight, others wash off with soap or just water afterwards. (I like to wash it off afterwards as I don’t like the smell of ACV.)
- Moisturize (with a non oily moisturizer – or coconut oil, see below) so as not to dry off your skin. If you find it too strong for your skin, you can try diluting with water
Apple Cider Vinegar – Remedy 2.
Many people who apply the ACV on to their face also take one or two teaspoons mixed with water and two teaspoons of honey, its got all kinds of health benefits apart from your skin as you will see if you look around my site. I like to mix it with honey and also chamomile and honey tea to disguise the taste.
2. Home Remedy to Cure your Acne for Good
For a long term solution for zits and better general health, you can try an excellent ebook I found a few months ago.
My zit remedies can really help to improve your skin, but to cure your acne forever you need to fix the root causes.
The author of this ebook a nutritionist who had suffered from acne for years and that was what lead him to discover this cure program.
The nice thing about the acne ebook is that it is a natural and holistic approach, which is important if you’ve tried lots of remedies for acne and they haven’t worked, and it will help you identify any internal problems, which you need to fix before you can be zit free.
If you want to see my full review of this amazing acne cure click here, or if you want to jump straight to the ebook, click here.
3. Home remedies for zits – Coconut Oil as Moisturizer
After any astringent treatment for spots and acne, you should moisturize. A popular home remedy for pimples is coconut oil, which is great because it doubles up as an acne treatment as well, partly because it is naturally antibacterial and antiviral.
Not only that but with gradual use coconut oil can even clear dark spots and scarring. People have found that severe scars they have had for 10 years and more, went away gradually, taking about a year, so it’s not an overnight solution, but it does work. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is best.
I use Nutiva Coconut Oil – it’s well priced and is extra virgin and organic.
4. Home Remedies For zits and Blemishes – Tea Tree oil
This natural treatment is great for individual blemishes that you want to get rid of fast – apply undiluted tea tree oil to the spot one to two times a day. This remedy is also effective for acne cysts.
NOTE: Tea tree oil is strong so be sure to test it out on a small patch of skin beforehand and leave it for 24hrs. If you do react to it, try diluting it with four parts water to one part tea tree, or experiment to see what works best for your skin and zits.
5. How to Prevent Pimples and Improve Acne
Ok some obvious but vital tips here:
- Don’t Touch! – Try to avoid touching your face when not necessary, and make sure to have clean hands when you do – this will help to prevent spreading oil, dirt and bacteria
- Keep Clean – wash your face twice a day, but don’t scrub it as this can make it worse, and take off your makeup every night.
- Dietary Changes – Eat lots of fruit and veg and follow the instructions below.
- Yoga or exercise – Many people find that doing regular exercise reduces acne and zits.
- Avoid certain chemicals – look out for these chemicals in your cosmetics – isopropyl isostearate, isopropyl palmitate, isopropyl myristate, socetyl stearate & sodium chloride, as they can make pimples worse.
6. Home Remedies For Zits – Dietary Changes and Vitamins
If you are suffering from acne, it can be a sign that something is wrong in your body. Many people have found that changing their diet helps. Some people are intolerant to gluten (e.g. products with wheat), others need to reduce the fat content of what they eat (particularly saturated fats) and some need to try a vegetarian diet. Here are some vitamins that will really help your skin:
- Niacin (aka B3) (100mg) three times a day
- Vitamin E (400mg) once a day
- Zinc 50mg a day is also beneficial.
But the best way to increase your vitamin levels is through your diet. Eat these foods for a simple home remedy for zits!
- Foods high in Niacin: Marmite, Bran, Fish, Paprika, Peanuts, Chicken, Bacon Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Foods high in Vitamin E: Sunflower Seeds, Paprika, Red Chili Powder, Almonds, Pine nuts, Peanuts, Basil, Origano, Dried Apricots, Spinach
- Foods high in Zinc: Oysters, Wheat Germ, Sesame Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Watermelon Seeds, Peanuts.
For more information about how to change your life and dietary habits to be acne free forever click here.
Home Remedies for Zits and Acne – Get Glowing Skin
I hope you find these acne remedies effective – do let us know how you got on by commenting below. For tips on how to get a beautiful complexion using natural treatments, and how to make some all natural skincare products (including a yummy brown sugar scrub) take a look at my home remedies for glowing skin page.